Monday, March 2, 2009

Updated Logo


Large companies with millions of dollars and agencies with hundreds of people spend much more time and money on research before they create, share and launch a design. I don't have either, so when I created the AyakoFromJapan.com logo, my research focused mostly on anime styles, Japanese design and Japanese patterns, but I didn't look deeply into the history of the Kimono.

Some of AyakoFromJapan.com traditional Japanese readers loved the logo, but wanted to let us know that the direction of the character's kimono, with the right side wrapped over the left, is a funereal tradition; it is how the dead are dressed for burial. Ayako didn't favor this association (of course!) so I changed the kimono to show the left side over the right side. Since the header space is so small and you can't really see most of the detail, we also gave it a punch of gold for a waist band so it pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment